Friday, August 2, 2013

Flashback Friday: DC Comics Presents Lobo 100 Page Spectacular

This week's Flashback Friday would go in a file folder titled "What was I thinking?"  I really do not like the character Lobo.  I think he is a vile creation and really just do not care for the guy.  In my loyal only to Marvel days I would have called him a poor man's cosmic Wolverine.  So, why may you ask did I buy this book?  I can tell you one thing, I didn't pay the $7.99 cover price.

No, this was a fifty cent book that I bought on impulse during one of my local shop's special events.  I saw Superman on the cover and figured he was beating the tar out of Lobo inside and gave it a chance.  I figured it could always go in my yard sale box and make the fifty cents back.

The book in question has three stories in it.  Two are long mini series type tales while the third is a short and comical piece.  Let us go in reverse order discussing the adventures.  The third story is one where a group of villains are swapping stories and the like.  The evil gal Phobia relates her run in with Lobo as she was stealing from S.T.A.R. Labs.  In this tale we see Phobia able to conjure the one thing in all the Universe able to frighten Lobo.  Kinda funny, but really short.

Second and in the middle we have a team up tale with the Demon Etrigan.  It is crass and vulgar as one would expect when these two characters are involved.  Plot goes as such; Angel hires the two for a job retrieving Heaven's One Trillionth Soul.  The dude has been accidentally sent to Hell.  They go, they fight and fight and fight and fight and fight.  Like an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon.  The Heavenly Soul is corrupting Hell and all around it.  Is a weird story with one scene that has a dream of God smiting Lobo over and over again.  Twist at the end and we can move on to Superman fighting Lobo.

Our comicbook begins with a cosmic corporate Hedge fund type group wanting Earth's water for an addictive drug.  Seems the pollution has made it very addictive and valuable.  Superman foils the deal and they sic Lobo on him.  Big action ensues and a betrayal makes Lobo turn and we do not get to see Superman pound on him any more.  Really good Superman story.

So there you have my tale of impulse buying.  Have a great weekend.

BDS


No comments:

Post a Comment