Monday, April 7, 2014

Malibu Monday: Firearm #4 (Break-Thru Issue)

Before I discuss the comicbook issue I want to rant a bit on computer systems being too intuitive.  Last Friday I mentioned how I went and Goggled covers for my posts.  It is lazy in some ways, but I just see it simpler than moving crap off my scanner and then scanning a cover when someone out on the interwebs has already done it.  So tonight I plan on getting an early start and I Google this issue.  It comes up and I click on "images" and get shown only guns.  Seems old Google shortened my search words to just "Firearm" and I had no comicbook covers.  After multiple attempts to get images of this cover up I gave up and scanned the sucker.  It is just weird what the interwebs does sometimes.

Now this is the only issue of Firearm I currently own.  I bought it because it ties into the Break-Thru event that Malibu had running throughout there titles.  I do know that this book was heavily marketed in-house by the company.  Every issue I have of other Ultraverse titles carry all kinds of advertising promoting this brand.  Still, to be honest I know nothing about the character really.  I gather from the issue he works as a private investigator, has a love of guns, is a tough guy, and hard to kill.  Apparently he is a non-powered character in a world of Ultra-powered characters.

The plot is a carry over from the previous issue where we can gather that the old story stand by of hunting people down for sport is used.  It is the aftermath and our protagonist is looking for some payback and maybe to save his client.  Seems that when you are captured by these Ultra-huntsmen you get served up as the main course of their after hunt banquet.  Kind of creepy.  The internal dialogue confirms our thoughts on the subject.

There is plenty of action and some cool moments in this issue.  The only Brek-Thru moment is the showing of the gal that is lighting up the sky.  That is the total connection.  Pretty cheap in a way.  Imagine you are a completest and you decide you must buy all these books, then you get FIREARM.  No real connection.  This was par for the course back then.  They hoped to snag new readers after they checked a book out.  Still the names James Robinson and Cully Hammer jump off the page of credits.  They are industry standard bearers and here they are in an Ultraverse book.  Reminds us that the big two never did have the monopoly on good stories.

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment