Tuesday, July 2, 2013

MAN OF STEEL (SPOILER ALERT) Comments

SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT  SPOILER ALERT There, you should be duly warned.  I want to speak openly about what I liked about this movie and to do that I have to say things about the movie.  So if you have not seen it and you read this and I spoil it for you, THEN why on earth did you read it after I warned you?  Now on to my delayed comments about MAN OF STEEL.  Had a bit of kidney stone issues and felt ooky so I did not get my Saturday comments posted as I wanted.

The first thing I liked was Amy Adams as Lois Lane.  She really made the character her own.  I liked the cute Lois that was still a no-nonsense daredevil reporter.  She held her own in this film with some strong male actors that she had to basically faced down as Lois.  The fact that she tracks down Clark as the mysterious man from her adventure in an alien ship was a great way to refresh this well known story.  It gave her not only smarts, but when the aliens attack and the FBI is wanting to know who the mystery guy is she shows her character by not revealing the info.  Her other big moment comes at the end when Superman kills Zod.  To see Superman kill was a powerful thing, but the aftermath where he is screaming because he has taken a life was perfection.  That perfection was capped off by having Lois appear and cradle the vulnerable man we all know she has come to love.  That was one of the best moments.

I also liked the small flashbacks used in a way to tell the origin without losing the action of the current time.  Each one gave Clark a depth of spirit that endured through Henry Cavill's portrayal.  He looked like the most recent incarnation of Clark Kent (Tom Welling in Smallville) without seeming like a clone.  I loved the way he carried humor in the most simple of ways.  That understated humor allowed for the movie to remain dramatic.  His not being Clark Kent the reporter until the end was just a great way to setup the franchise I am hoping for.  He was a great casting choice.

Letting the action build was a big plus.  It was a problem in SUPERMAN RETURNS.  Here we get the action in two separate ending sequences that both are high powered.  A battle against a Terra-forming device and then the battle royal with Zod.  All this after small action build ups.  It really was a cool movie to just enjoy for the action alone.

My one gripe is with the media who want to always make Superman out to be Messianic in nature.  I never have understood the need they have to try and make every film have the character be Jesus.  Clark shows the fact that he is not by breaking from the chant of Jor-El and going to his Pastor in Smallville to seek advice on what to do when Zod has asked he be delivered or dire consequences will ensue.  I know that there was a big play up on how he was the hope for Krypton, but that does not translate to the sacrifice of Jesus of Nazareth.  It is more a showing of how a person can be called upon to follow the teachings of Jesus.

This film made me love seeing Superman on the big screen.  Even in that terrible looking suit.  I loved it.

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment