Monday, August 2, 2010

Wilkes Library Con

I had such a great time Saturday at the Wilkes Library Con.  I will get some links and info up in another post.  The event is centered around the Star Wars and various other fandom groups.  There were a ton of kids and that made for an enjoyable day.  Local authors shared their works and there was even an artist there with his work.

I didn't really know if I fit in, I called after seeing a flyer at HeroesCon.  I thought maybe my comicbook oriented art would be able to be enjoyed by more than just me.  I guess I added variety.  I hope so at least.  This was just cool to see.  The enthusiasm for what many would shun in the rural areas where this took place and I live was so nice.  I guess it was being around people that share some similar interest that made it great.

There were homemade R2D2 units there and the kids really loved them.  Maybe even better was the little Droid that was always kind of background in the Star Wars movies slipping around.  It was cute watching a group of kids being chased and chasing the little cracker-box sized unit around the display area.  The pink R2 had some mechanical problems and was limited, but by the end of the day she was up and moving.  There was even a little race being the two Droids.

The Droid Hunt was a cute all day event.  Those participating were given badges that they had to display, yet not prominently.  Various Troopers would spot them and ask a question, which lead to getting a raffle ticket for later.  The ones who were last spotted received  prizes as well.  The Make A Wish Foundation had an all day raffle which was really cool.  That made the day seem cooler, knowing there was a great cause being aided during the fun.  If I get to be a part next year I think I will find a way to donate things to help that charity.

It did prompt me to really get serious about my writing.  I have let that slip during and after the bad times of recent years.  I have started the process, but I want to go back to an idea I had and see if I can;t make it become a reality.  I even saw a way to make the idea i had for the children;s story work, I need to see if Richard would do art for it, but for that I have to finish the story and get it out of my head and on paper.  So this was a great day and I look forward to sharing links and reviewing the book I bought.

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment