Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wonder Woman #601

Wonder Woman #601
So we begin anew.  I read about J. Michael Straczynski (henceforth to be referred to as JMS) taking over the book with a bit of trepidation.  I had liked what Gail Simone had done and was not really ready for yet another creative team change on this title.  I also was not thrilled with the ideas JMS had for Superman.  When I read his pitch for Diana I was ready to give it a try and felt it would work better than Superman.

Here is why; we can see this will never stick.  Like much of his work there will come an end.  JMS writes stories and as such they have a beginning, a middle, and an end.  I see the day that Wonder Woman is returned to the continuity we know and her place in the DC Trinity.  Much like his Totem stuff with Spider-Man, there will be closure.

This is an intriguing start.  It is fresh and new.  I like the way the flashbacks that fill in the gaps are done.  Diana not being fully powered makes this a Hero's (or is it more proper to say Heroine?) Tale.  There is a journey we will watch her go on.  She has a purpose to protect the scattered Amazons and to avenge her mother.  The street look is OK, but not iconic in any way.  Really I think they might have just wanted to show off her rear-end in the artwork.

I do wonder what this does to the status of Donna Troy and of Wonder-Girl in the DCU?  They are so tied into the mythology of Wonder Woman that it makes me wonder how much this ripple in time affects?  How deep does to go?  I will read and continue to reserve judgment.  I do hope I can keep reading Wonder Woman as I rather do want to support this character.

BDS

1 comment:

  1. I agree BDS.

    I love what Gail has done with this since she took it over. When WW got the new #1 numbering awhile back I was really stoked about the new book. But boy did it flounder out of the gate. I ALMOST dropped it. But I'm glad I held on for Gail to start writing it. She seems to "get" her characters.

    Sad to see her go, and JMS is iffy at best with his stories. So I'll give him a few issues to see where he's going with it. And the only reason I'm giving him that is because I loved Babylon 5. LOL

    ReplyDelete