Sunday, June 24, 2018

Heroes Convention Should Invite Professional Cosplayers

 This is basically my opinion. It comes from over a decade of attending Heroes Convention. I have watched Cosplay become more than just the dressing up of fans. Now there is a Contest. That is a good thing. Every now and then there is a panel. Sadly, the panels I have attended were not really accessible for the novice Cosplayer. The ones I have attended really made me even more self conscious about participating. 

I left Heroes last year after meeting a very nice lady named Ashley Du. I met her because of getting Pepsi Fires for Amy Chu. She told me the Photo Cover model for the Red Sonja Dynamite Comic was at the Convention. I met Ashley and she is the nicest person you will ever met. I started following her on Twitter and then interacted with other Dynamite Models. If you think
this is a small thing, let me just list the models Dynamite has used on the covers of various comics.

Twitter/Instagram Listings

Ashley Du - @Undeaddu
Tatiana Dekhtyar - @Tatiana_Dekhtyar
Kat Sheridan - @Katkombat
Jennifer Rose - @Jinglebooboo
Deanna Davis - @Itsrainingneon
Krystle Starr - @Thekrystlestarr
Amanda Kitson - @Thekitcandela
Cervena Fox - @Cervenafox
Casabella - @Casabellacosplay
Ireland Reid - @Irelandreid
Dangrr Doll - @Dangrrdoll
Joanie Brosas - @Joaniebrosas
Claire Ana - @Claireana
Anna Quinn - @Anna_Quinn_UK
Villainlily - @Villainlily
Violet Love - @Violetlovecosplay


 All the above women have been on the cover of a comic. Vampirella, Red Sonja, & Sheena are all represented in the Dynamite 2017 Convention Cosplay Cover Special. Ashley Du has been the exclusive Sheena Cover model. I would put out social media request for Ashley & Joanie Brosas. It would be awesome to see them at HeroesCon. I was able to talk with the man over Heroes at my LCS convention and felt really dismissed. It was an explanation that Cosplers just show up and we do not invite them. I was really just bummed after this interaction.

What really gets me is that the Cosplayers that are Charlotte locals and have the "official access" as the contest coordinators just have this clique feeling to me. I have never felt comfortable talking with them. There is also this head-scratcher of the people that seem to get invited and they don't seem really comic related. Maybe they buy a table, not sure. I have been to panels where these people have weird advertisements for there book about comics. I just do not get why Models that poor there own money and talent into creating costumes, then get recognized by a company to be the face of that book are not considered worthy of an invite.

Maybe Dynamite could show up and have the ladies as there guest and draw people to the booth. I would love to see Dynamite invited. They are doing some awesome work. They have some of the best Writers & Artist working on their titles. Sadly, Dynamite and other companies were not at Heroes and were at a Con in Denver, Colorado instead.

It cannot be space. There is plenty of unused space right now in the Convention Hall. The use of the entire facility floor makes this a non-issue. I feel like Heroes is missing an opportunity here to broaden the comics experience. 
Other Cons are inviting these Ladies. How they are treated will also be seen by other parts of the industry. It just seems like people that are part of the art of a comicbook cover would qualify as worthy of being invited to a Convention.

BDS  

The ladies I have used cover images for are Ashley Du & Joanie Brosas.

No comments:

Post a Comment