Friday, June 14, 2013

Flashback Friday: Heroes Convention 2013 "The Art Edition"

 Yes I am just going to go back a week and savor the vacation this year.  I promise to have pretty artwork as I do.  This year the room was spacious and made the navigating much better.  I really did hate the end of the Convention.  I was at peace and really enjoying the art and people.  I was very good about money this year.  I did get some commissions done.  One was by Mike Maihack from Google + and my following.  He did the awesome comic strip prints of Batgirl and Supergirl.  I love his art and asked him to do a commission in my sketchbook of Huntress.  It was a great addition to my ever growing book of sketches.  I bought his sketchbook and some other prints as well.  He probably thought I was crazy.  I get excited sometimes.


I bought two sketch cover comics.  A Green Lantern and an Aquaman version.  I really went silly with the GL book.  It does not represent continuity at all.  I asked a young lady to have Mogo and the Tardis on the cover.  It was a Mash Up that I figure will be unique in the coming years.  She did a great job and I regret I did not get her picture with the cover like I did the other one.  That one has a headshot of Mera on it the artist is in a pic with the cover.  I picked her because I was watching her do a commission and her displayed work showed a great beauty and a great realism in the way she portrayed her work.  So I have a Throne of Atlantis issue with the gorgeous Mera on the cover.  I just wish I had been able to track down the cosplay Mera and had her pose with it.


I am adding some other prints I picked up.  I love just finding cool prints as I scour the aisles.  Sometimes you get really cool art from people that are just trying to make a living as an artist at Conventions and maybe be discovered.  They are not in the comicbooks, but should be.  Others work for independents or card companies.  There are rare gems out there in the fringes and I love when I find a piece of art that is shining bright.  One day I will be able to display all I have collected.  I have a plan that I want to work on, but that is a future blog post.

I have neglected to report on my goal concerning my T-Shirt on Friday.  I was disappointed with not having a unique shirt last year and was determined to be seen this year.  I accomplished it with my shirt that displays the Internet mash up called by two names, "The Time Job" or "The Tardis Job," based on Firefly and Dr.Who.  I received many compliments and many double takes as I walked around on opening day.  It was cool knowing I had the only version there at HeroesCon.

BDS

No comments:

Post a Comment